OHANA GOES NORTH

A chronicle for our friends of our new life in Corvallis.

Saturday, August 09, 2008

I love my garden soooooo much

A couple of weeks ago I went to my naturopathic doctor, Beth Laurenson. She is one amazing woman. I wish so much that everyone could have a doc like her. Anyway, she advised me to stay away from stressful, highly-charged, frightening political stuff like I'm proned to read. She mentioned that she's reading The Fifth Sacred Thing, by Starhawk. All I can say is get the book and read it right away. I am.

Anyway, that's only part of the story. Another part is that recently I can see the effect on my body of reading articles online, answering endless emails (not the fun personal kind), spending too much time on the computer. The antidote....




Taaaa daaaa! Time in the garden!




While Frank and Margaret were here I had all those flowers I'd bought from Peoria Gardens that I wanted to get potted before Aaron's party. So much of the time while we were all outside visiting, I was also potting. Too much fun.




Courtney found the perfect place for the potting table he made me long ago. He hooked up the faucet so now I've got running water where I do my potting. The water drains out into a five gallon bucket and I use it again to water my plants.




I love finding combos of plants that look good together. I know I should be putting things in the ground and not into pots, which require much more watering. Next year I'll take time to work the soil and do it right. But this year I just wanted to get 'em growing and putting them in pots was the quick and easy way to do it.




And they look great around the deck.





Here's my partner in crime. We spend alot of time looking at gardens in our neighborhood, and reading books about plants and gardening. Courtney's reading books about bamboo right now. It's fun to plan and scheme together about what we're going to do with our yard space, the front porch, the gardens. Gates and trellises we like. What kind of food are we going to raise in the front yard in place of the grass lawn.




Isn't he a handsome dude?! I feel mighty darned lucky--all the way around.

Two more reading recommendations (actually they're picture books): The first is (un)FASHION, by Tibor and Maira Kalman. The second is Natural Fashion: Tribal Decoration from Africa, by Hans Silvester. We were lucky enough to get them from the Corvallis Library. They are books worth looking at. That's all I'm going to say.

Hope you are enjoying summer, and thanks again for reading this,

Valori